helpful tips for your moving day
- Donate or discard unneeded items to decrease packing required. Learn about our partnership with Move for Hunger.
- Invest in quality moving boxes you can see our box prices here.
- Don’t overpack a moving box. No more than 40 lbs / box.
- Generally, the heavier the item, the smaller the box. Books, weights, canned goods, etc. should go in a small box.
- Don’t leave empty space in boxes. Fill voids in boxes with loose paper or linens to secure items in boxes and to keep boxes from collapsing when stacked.
- Boxes should not bulge after being sealed
- Every piece of art should be boxed or transported with you personally.
- Every lamp shade should boxed or transported with you personally.
- Use wardrobe boxes for packing clothes or transport your clothes personally.
- Learn how to pack fragile dishware by visiting our site or researching online. Don’t skimp on packing paper when packing fragile items.
- Pack a moving essentials tote with items that you will need as soon as you get to your new home like toiletries, towels, sheets, etc.
- Start packing weeks in advance.
- Give each room a different color packing label.
- Repurpose household items like suitcases, laundry baskets, etc. for packing.
- Place toiletries / liquids in a plastic bag to keep them from leaking on other items.
- Don’t pack items from multiple rooms into one box. This will save time when unpacking.
- Important / irreplaceable items and documents like birth certificates, social security cards, jewelry, cash, collectibles, etc. should be packed separately and carried with you.